Monday, March 5, 2012

The Timorese Kids and I




I've been pretty lazy with my photography lately. So this last weekend, when someone suggested we go to the beach to watch the sunset, I decided to bring my camera and take some pictures. I need something to show my family when I get home. 

The beach we went to is called Comoro Beach. It's really beautiful! When I first arrived here in Timor, we went there to swim. My brain was thoroughly flummoxed. I'm used to swimming in Canadian lakes and the Pacific ocean, not a bathtub-temperature ocean with a palm tree backdrop. It took a while to get used to. 

During this last Sabbath evening we were there, a nice breeze was blowing and a bunch of locals were playing soccer and providing some good subject material. 

Our group consisted of an American family from church, the family I live with, and of course, myself. While we were hanging out, the four local children in the pictures above came running on the beach. I saw them and started to take some pictures. I really love taking pictures of the kids/people here (I just need to do it more often!). The children are so precious! They laughed as my shutter went click, click, click. The mother of my student recently bought the Canon 60D. So she was also snapping away. She asked me if I would like a picture with the children. I'd been realizing lately how I didn't really have many pictures of myself here, so I enthusiastically agreed. I plopped down next to the kids and grinned. However, as you can see in the pictures above, it only took a second for the little boy next to me to decide he was too close for comfort. I found this hilarious (and so did all of my friends) and I absolutely love the photos I was able to get! I laughed as Ruth snapped away. (I'm sorry I don't have more pictures. It takes a long time to upload them, hence, there is only a few. Come and find me when I'm back in the states if you would like to see more.) I love these pictures because they have a story behind them and they have character. I hope you enjoy them as well. 

I've been wanting to blog more. God's been teaching me many things. I'm learning so much that sometimes it feels as though my brain needs to pee. I know that's a really disgusting simile, but to be honest, it describes perfectly how I feel sometimes. All these wonderful ideas of things I could write about come to me (usually at the most inconvenient times, like right when I need to go to bed) and fill up my mind. As my brain is brimming, an urgent signal is sent out, telling me that I need to pull the plug and drain some of these ideas out (although usually only one turns out really well). I need to write. It's kind of like that, "Gotta go!" feeling. 

Well, I'll quit grossing you out. Hopefully I'll be able to drain my mind again soon. 

7 comments:

  1. So funny! :D Especially love photo #2. Off in their own world...
    Randomly: Do you upload photos through blogger? I use Picasa Web Albums Uploader (or Picasa if you use Windows). 10x faster. Seriously.
    I just upload to a dedicated picasa web album, and then link to my blog using the same "add photo" dialog in the post editor. So much happier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wallie, you can resize your photos using "automator" you should have that program preinstalled on your mac. resize them to even 35% and it should still be pretty big (and smaller file size at the same time) uploading becomes a LOT faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very true! :) The PWA Uploader automatically resizes too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Allie!! You have the best similes ever! I would never come up with such creative ideas! You make me laugh! I miss you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for help! I really do appreciate that. There have been many times I wanted to share more pictures or felt like I should, but didn't feel like waiting for eons to upload them. I'll check into resizing the images. Thanks for your advice Jerick and Sean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHA I can't believe you actually blogged that! In more detail too! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allie, when you've gotta go, you've gotta go. When your brain says "write" you need to do it or maybe you'll lose the thought! Besides, I like to hear what you have to say! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete