Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Struggle

Right now my mind is full. I feel like it contains at least a couple of blog posts. So I'm apologizing beforehand. If this post seems rather scatterbrained or confusing, I'm sorry. I just had to share what I've been thinking about in the last while.

This week has been hard. It's felt somewhat similar to a roller coaster, emotionally speaking. A not-very-fun roller coaster. Little things have really bugged me. I've cried and then wondered why I'm crying.

However, today I received a good reminder to hold on and trust God. After Sabbath lunch, I took a nap. When I got up I was still feeling somewhat crabby. I sat on my cute, little couch and opened my email. In my inbox I saw an invitation to follow a blog: www.seannebblett.com
I opened up the link and started reading the different posts. Then one caught my attention. The author was describing how he was running and felt as if he was about to die. He was listening to an audio book as he ran. Right at the moment he felt like he was about to croak, he heard this quote, "Those who decline the struggle lose the strength and joy of victory" (Help in Daily Living, pg. 28). He wrote how those words "the girl" read gave him courage to run just a little faster. He had linked the words, "the girl" to a website. I clicked on the words and what do you know? I end up at my own blog! At the end of the post he had written, "Thanks Allie." Turns out he had was listening to the audiobook that comes with Fountainview Academy's latest filming production, Help in Daily Living, (find it at www.fountainofmusic.com) which happens to be read by yours truly.

When I read his post, those words were such a good reminder to me. "Those who decline the struggle lose the strength and joy of victory." This week was a struggle for me. It was a struggle to not let my emotions dictate my behavior. I didn't always succeed. Homesickness has been a struggle. Certain languages were beginning to get on my nerves. Certain people were getting to me. I don't know why it was this week. Nothing really new happened. I mean, things were as they normally are. I knew I had so much to be thankful for. I really did.  But it was just a really strong battle against my emotions. It was one of those times where you know in your head that you should be thankful, and you are, but your emotions are like a little, bratty child that refuses to cooperate. You just want to be crabby sometimes.
But as I read those words, it helped to remind me that I need to hang on. So, since I was refreshed by that one little quote, I decided to haul out my own copy of HDL and listen to the audiobook for the first time. I don't know that I've actually listened to it since it was recorded. Today I listened to the first twenty or so pages and was so blessed! It was what I needed.

Here's some of the quotes that spoke to me.


"To live such a life [the life of a loving and lovable christian]to exert such an influence, costs at every step effort, self-sacrifice, discipline. It is because they do not understand this that many are so easily discouraged in the Christian life. Many who sincerely consecrate their lives to God’s service are surprised and disappointed to find themselves, as never before, confronted by obstacles and beset by trials and perplexities. They pray for Christlikeness of character, for a fitness for the Lord’s work, and they are placed in circumstances that seem to call forth all the evil of their nature. Faults are revealed of which they did not even suspect the existence. Like Israel of old they question, “If God is leading us, why do all these things come upon us?” 
It is because God is leading them that these things come upon them. Trials and obstacles are the Lord’s chosen methods of discipline and His appointed conditions of success...
In His providence He brings these persons into different positions and varied circumstances that they may discover in their character the defects which have been concealed from their own knowledge. He gives them opportunity to correct these defects and to fit themselves for His service. Often He permits the fires of affliction to assail them that they may be purified...
In the full light of day, and in hearing of the music of other voices, the caged bird will not sing the song that his master seeks to teach him. He learns a snatch of this, a trill of that, but never a separate and entire melody. But the master covers the cage, and places it where the bird will listen to the one song he is to sing. In the dark, he tries and tries again to sing that song until it is learned, and he breaks forth in perfect melody. Then the bird is brought forth, and ever after he can sing that song in the light. Thus God deals with His children. He has a song to teach us, and when we have learned it amid the shadows of affliction we can sing it ever afterward" --Help in Daily Living, pg. 8-10. 
OK, I know those were really long, but that's not much considering I listened to twenty pages. I'm sure whoever actually takes the time to read this entire post is going to be old and grey by the time they finish. 
That last part of the quote that is in bold is especially meaningful to me. I may write a separate post on that one specifically or something closely related. But it really means a lot. What's also really cool is that before I left to come here, my prayer journal was getting close to being finished. So I knew I would need to buy a new one for my stay here. I bought one and it has two birds in cages on the front. I wasn't even thinking about this quote when I bought it though. God knew something small and simple like that would be special to me later on. 
I kind of consider myself a wimp. I don't like struggling. I don't like pain. I try to avoid it. However, if I avoid it, I will lose the strength and joy of the victory. This quote challenges me to hang on. I need to keep trusting God. He's going to make this totally worth it in the end! 
Things are sometimes tough (or so our emotions tell us), but it's like the quote says. Everything seems so hard, but it's because God is with me that these things are happening to me. He's teaching me to sing His song. I just pray that He'll help me to have the strength to hang in there and learn it. 
That's the hardest part. It's the process, the waiting part, the learning part that is so difficult to get through. Sometimes I just want to scream and yell and throw a fit like a little kid. But He has promised that His grace is sufficient for me. His strength is perfect in this weak wimpiness of mine. See 2 Corinthians 12:9. I'm trusting that He will get me through this. Pray that I will receive the strength and joy of victory.  


Oh, yeah. One more thing. Thank you Sean. Thank you for the reminder. 


6 comments:

  1. Funny how reminders work. Isn't God good? :D But I really think we have you to thank for hours in the studio. :) I've learned that one never knows when they might touch a life... A serious motivation to be always and only God's agent. Yes, our circle of friends certainly overlaps. Aubrey, Chelsea, Nick and undoubtedly many more (Smiths and Fords, for instance?) I'll add my little prayers. :) Strength and joy are better far than simple deliverance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of one of those "overlapping friends." :) But yeah, I can totally resonate with you, Allie... I've been there too. And then combine all those little things with homesickness...yup, know what that's like. But what an awesome reminder God gave you! It's ironic how indirectly you were a blessing and encouragement to yourself:) Funny how the Lord works, eh? Keep looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, yes, I do know the Fords and Smiths as well. So funny when that happens. Thanks again. Hearing that quote again was just what I needed.
    Nick, I do think it's ironic and funny how God worked that out! Normally, I don't think I would have looked at the blog link, but I was bored I guess or something. Anyway, God knew way back last year when I was recording that I would need this. So amazing how He works! Strength and joy are so much better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those last two long paragraphs you wrote... They were exactly the encouragement I needed. Thanks, Allie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wallie, thank you so much for sharing. I think we've already beat to death the fact that God is teaching us many of the same things and we are having similar experiences in different ways, you and I. The bird in the cage has really spoken to me a lot, since last year too. I'm praying for you! I thought of you today... Oh, one thing, do you mind if I post a link to this as a post on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Araya, praise God!
    Val, thank you so much for your prayers. I am amazed as well how God is teaching me and you, and other people too, many similar things. I just pray that we really will learn to sing the song. Kind of cool, considering we come from Fountainview, eh? Lol. "eh." Don't know how natural that was.
    Oh, and no, I don't mind if you post this as a link. Love you!

    ReplyDelete