Sunday, February 3, 2013

My Collection

A lot of people are into collecting. 
And there's a plethora of things to collect: teacups,
ties,
shoes, hats, mugs, dresses, electric guitars, vintage items, dolls, and the list goes on...
I don't collect many of the above items, but....

I do collect quotes. 

I love a good quote. And I love words. It's like there's a little bell inside of me that rings whenever I discover an especially meaningful, witty, or wise saying (I know that's kind of a weird simile, but it's honestly what comes to mind). So my sophomore year in high school I bought a small notebook at Michaels to write them all down. It's not full yet (due to my lack of diligence), but it's definitely over half way. Some of them are funny (I like things that make me laugh) and some are sappy. Some are spiritual and some are just plain weird. 

So today, I thought I would pick some to share with you all. The problem is narrowing it down. It would take way too long to write the whole book down. 

"There was a definite process by which one made people into friends; it involved talking to them and listening to them for hours at a time." --Rebecca West

"He who knows why can bear any how." --Friedrich Nietzsche

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."--Mark Twain

"A happy family is heaven on earth." --Unknown

"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You're born an original, don't die a copy." --J. Mason

"When you have come to the edge of all light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly." --Patrick Overton

This one is kind of long, but I really love it. 

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or short coming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." --Teddy Roosevelt

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." --George Washington Carver

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." --John Milton

"Music dances in high meadows of the open mind, far above the reaches of even the noblest of spoken words." --Unknown

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places." --Ernest Hemingway

"The place where God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." --Frederick Beuchner

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility." --Amber Holiday

"Always be kind, for there are many tears shed upon the heart before even one reaches the eyes." --Unknown

These are just random ones I liked from my book. I hope you enjoyed them. 
Do you have any favorite quotes? I'd love to hear them and add them to my book:)



7 comments:

  1. Blood alone moves the wheels of history. - Martin Luther

    You have to think twice about that one. Then it hits you.

    More coming... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, I've thought about this more than twice...and I still don't get it.

      Delete
    2. Oh! I was reading this post again and didn't even know you had replied (blogger notifications need some help). Ok, if I have to give it away:
      1. The blood of Jesus
      2. The blood of martyrs
      3. The blood of those who gave their lives for physical freedom

      Mainly though, if you think about #1...

      ...

      Delete
  2. "Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth." -Anonymous
    This one made me think of you because it's something you'd say (and then laugh hysterically...) :D
    Ahh. Good times.
    I also love this one:
    ‎"Sir, we're surrounded!"
    "Excellent, we can attack in any direction!" -Lewis B. Puller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Amie, these made me smile and laugh:) You know me. Haha. I just loves these.

      Delete
  3. I like the ones by Mark Twain and Patrick Overton. Super insightful. Thanks Allie! Rad post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amie! Those quotes made me laugh too, and I can just see Wallie laughing at them! I like the ones by Mark Twain, Teddy Roosevelt, and the music one.

    ReplyDelete