Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Keys


As a dean, one thing I always have to carry with me is my keys. I've found it necessary to take them everywhere when I'm on duty. When I first arrived, I was always trying to figure out which key opened which door. Now, I pretty much know (at least for the doors I use most often) which key to use as well as which locks have to be jiggled and coerced and which door handles you have to pull on while simultaneously turning the key to lock the door.

As I was walking today, I was thinking of how I need spiritual keys. In witnessing to people, you have to find the key to their hearts in order to influence them. They have to let you in the door in order to build a relationship. It's not an easy thing and it takes a lot of time trying to figure out which key works for which door, which door handles have to be jiggled and tugged, and which ones simply need a gentle turn. There are some doors you try and unlock but it seems like none of your keys can do the trick. However, later on you come back, try again, and the door swings wide open.

Though I've figured out how to unlock the most necessary doors here, I'm praying God can show me--wherever I go in life--how to unlock the doors to people's hearts. As I interact with others, I see hearts that not only have locked door knobs, but have quadruple dead bolts as well. Some have video surveillance cameras on the door posts with laser sensors hidden in the doorbell. Still others have big, drooling Rottweilers sitting on the porch and the yard is surrounded by an eight-food chain link fence and covered in trip wires and land mines. OK, I'm not sure if I'm getting a little carried away with my analogy, but you get the point.

Sometimes these exteriors are so intimidating and it's hard to be bold as you Bible work, canvass, or work in whatever position the Lord has placed you. It's hard to know what to do. Each door is different. Some take some tugging and some have to be dealt with gently. I guess all I can say is that when it comes to witnessing, I'm made much more aware of how inefficient and small in number my set of keys is. I'm made much more aware of how selfish, inwardly focused, and ill equipped I am.

However, Jesus said once, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with Me" (Revelation 3:20, ESV). 

Father, 
You of all people know how to open the doors to people's hearts. Lately I've been realizing how badly I need Your help. Please lend me your keys. You know what can turn the lock on each door, whether that be love shown in quality time, some kind words, a smile, or whatever it may be. Please give me a heart to love those around me. Give me the strength to do whatever it takes to show that love. And lastly, help me to trust you even when the doors continue to remain locked. 
Allie

4 comments:

  1. Amen, let that be my prayer as well... Love you and praying for you, Wallie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, I echo that prayer: "Please, Lord, lend me Your keys." And He has promised, "Ask, and it hall be given to you, seek, and you shall find, knock, and the door shall be opened to you." Praise Him that we can trust Him to work through us when we give ourselves entirely to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful analogy! Your gift for writing is amazing. :)
    Are you a dean at Fountainview, by the way?! Because if you are that's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the analogy! And yes, it's so true. Different people are so different. That's the way God made us, and that's the way our lives have made us: very different. We just have to have patience and wait on God, like you've said, Wallie, to figure out the right way to reach them. This is true in friendships and witnessing, which I suppose are two things that are intertwined.

    ReplyDelete